ABOUT THE ECC
“A lifetime of learning begins with a single moment of wonder”.
The Early Childhood Center at Central Avenue is located at 28 Central Avenue in Naugatuck. It is one of the district’s schools and follows the district calendar as well as The Vision and Mission of the Naugatuck Graduate --- Every learner in Naugatuck is empowered through active, meaningful and personal educational experiences that nurture an excitement and capacity for learning.
The ECC@CA achieved NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) re-accreditation in October 2017. The school has a full time RN year round.
The Early Childhood Center at Central Avenue consists of Head Start, School Readiness, and Special Education preschool classes.
Head Start has the following:
- 3 school year/school day classes (9 to 3 during the school year)
- 1 full year/full day class (7:30 to 5:30 full year)
- 1 school year/full day class (7:30 to 5:30 during the school year)
School Readiness has the following:
- 2 full year/full day classes (7:30 to 5:30)
Special Education has the following:
- School Year/Morning and Afternoon sessions during the School Day
- The Special Education Team consists of School Psychologist, School Social Worker, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, SLP (Speech Language Pathologist), and Special Education Preschool Teachers.
The Early Childhood Center at Central Avenue has a wonderful child centered outside playground. When children are not able to go outside due to the weather, the school has a large gym where the children can have recess.
The preschool curriculum that is being implemented is McGraw Hill’s World of Wonders. Lessons in literacy, math, social and emotional, science, and social studies are taught to the children on a daily basis.
A focus for the Early Childhood Center this year is Oral Language Development. The teachers are participating in professional development and coaching during lessons on this topic.